At virtually every selective U.S. university, your admissions essay is the key to standing out from all the others with similar test scores and grades. Writing a great college essay can help you win admissions to stretch schools. And writing a great college essay requires unlearning many of the lessons you learned in high school since you’ll need to write a personal, narrative essay rather than an analytical one.
Our recent webinar, by LifeLaunchr coach Jane Hirschhorn, tells you what you need to know to write a great essay. For parents with rising juniors and seniors, and for their teens, this webinar provides valuable free information.
The webinar covered:
- What college admissions officers are looking for in an essay.
- How to find the stories in your life to focus on.
- How to create drafts and revise them until they’re ready for submission.
- Examples of good essays.
In addition, Jane answered your questions about essay writing.
Recording Of the College Essay Webinar
About Jane Hirschhorn
Jane Hirschhorn has had many years of experience coaching students to write winning college essays. Her students have been accepted at Yale, Rice, Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown, Washington University, Barnard College, the Universities of California, Texas, and Massachusetts, and many other top universities in the U.S. and Canada.
Here are the resources mentioned in the webinar:
- Boston University’s video, “How to Write a College Application Essay that Stands Out.“
- Ann Gelb’s book, “Conquering the College Essay.“
- Janine W. Robinson’s book, “Escaping Essay Hell.”