Ruth Louden’s College Essay Program on LifeLaunchr is an eight-week program focusing on helping students create polished final drafts of five essays that are common in college applications:
- The CommonApp main essay: This is the student’s response to one of the CommonApp prompts. Students will write and revise their 650-word essay with Ruth’s help, which will help them communicate their most important personality traits and contextualize their life experiences for admissions offices. Once this has been written, students can shorten or lengthen this essay for the Coalition Application, University of Texas, or University of California applications.
- Short (350 word) essay responses to key questions:
- “How Have You Made Your Community a Better Place?”
- “How Have You Demonstrated Leadership?”
- “Describe an Extracurricular Activity You Are Proud Of”
- Why Do You Want to Study Your Major?”
These short essays are common in college applications, and writing these can help students answer many college supplemental questions, so Ruth will help the student draft, edit, and finalize these essays, which students can then modify for individual applications.
The writing support program will be eight weeks, with a half-hour meeting each week to go over writing feedback. Ruth will also spend time in between each meeting to provide written feedback to drafts. In addition to being less stressed in the Fall, they should build greater confidence in their writing skills.