The field of Visual and Performing Arts offers a creative and expressive outlet for individuals with a passion for artistic pursuits. Whether it’s through visual arts, music, dance, or theater, this field provides opportunities for personal and professional growth. This article delves into the educational and career possibilities within Visual and Performing Arts, highlighting the types of students who find it a good fit, the various career paths available, and the potential earnings associated with these careers.

Students Who Find Visual and Performing Arts a Good Fit

Visual and Performing Arts attract students with a deep appreciation for creativity, aesthetics, and self-expression. These students possess a strong artistic inclination and a desire to explore different art forms. They have a natural talent or a developed skill set in areas such as drawing, painting, music, dance, or acting. Additionally, curious, open-minded individuals willing to experiment with different artistic mediums find Visual and Performing Arts a good fit.

Educational Programs in Visual and Performing Arts

Educational programs in Visual and Performing Arts provide students with a comprehensive understanding of artistic techniques, theory, and history. Here are some common educational pathways within this field:

  • Bachelor’s Degree: Many students begin their journey in Visual and Performing Arts by pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, Music, Dance, Theater, or a related field. These programs offer a combination of practical training and theoretical knowledge, fostering creativity and technical skills. Students study various art forms, art history, music theory, dance techniques, and acting methods. A Bachelor’s degree in Visual and Performing Arts usually takes four years to complete.
  • Master’s Degree: For students looking to develop their artistic skills and knowledge further, pursuing a Master’s degree is a common next step. Master’s programs offer specialized coursework, research opportunities, and advanced training in specific Visual and Performing Arts areas. Students can focus on painting, sculpture, composition, choreography, or directing. The duration of Master’s programs varies but typically takes one to two years.
  • Fine Arts Schools and Conservatories: In addition to traditional academic programs, specialized fine arts schools and conservatories provide intensive training in specific art forms. These institutions offer rigorous music, dance, or theater programs, focusing on technical proficiency and performance skills. Some well-known fine arts schools and conservatories include Juilliard School, Berklee College of Music, and the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

Careers in Visual and Performing Arts

Students pursuing a career in Visual and Performing Arts have many options. The field offers diverse and rewarding career paths that cater to various artistic interests and talents. While potential earnings can vary greatly depending on factors such as skill level, experience, location, and industry, here are some careers in Visual and Performing Arts, along with a general overview of their potential earnings:

  • Fine Artist: Fine artists create original artworks, including paintings, sculptures, installations, and mixed media pieces. They can exhibit their work in galleries, museums, art fairs, and other art-related events. Earnings for fine artists can vary significantly based on factors such as reputation, demand for their work, and the value of their pieces. Some established fine artists can earn substantial incomes, while others may start with more modest earnings as they establish their careers.
  • Graphic Designer: Graphic designers utilize their artistic skills to create visual concepts and layouts for mediums such as print, digital media, advertising, and branding. They often work with clients or agencies and may be employed in marketing, advertising, or publishing. The earnings of graphic designers can range from entry-level salaries for beginners to higher incomes for experienced professionals. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage for graphic designers was $54,680 as of May 2020.
  • Musician: Musicians perform, compose, or produce music in various genres. They may work as solo artists, band members, session musicians, or composers for film and television. Musicians’ earnings can vary significantly depending on factors such as their skill level, experience, popularity, and the opportunities available to them. While some musicians may earn modest incomes from gigs and performances, successful musicians with record deals, high-demand concert tours, or lucrative licensing deals can achieve substantial earnings.
  • Actor/Actress: Actors and actresses portray characters in films, television shows, theater productions, commercials, and other performing arts mediums. Earnings in acting can range from low-paying or unpaid roles for newcomers to high salaries for established actors in major productions. The BLS reports that the median hourly wage for actors was $20.43 as of May 2020.
  • Dancer/Choreographer: Dancers use movement and expression to convey stories, emotions, or concepts. They may perform in ballet companies, contemporary dance troupes, musical theater productions, or as part of music videos and live performances. Earnings for dancers and choreographers can vary greatly depending on factors such as their level of experience, the prestige of the company or production, and the duration of the engagement. The BLS reports that the median hourly wage for dancers was $17.49 as of May 2020.
  • Film and Video Editor: Film and video editors are responsible for assembling, arranging, and enhancing raw footage to create cohesive and engaging visual content. They work in film, television, advertising, or digital media production companies. The earnings of film and video editors can vary depending on their experience, the scale and budget of the productions they work on, and their level of expertise with editing software. According to the BLS, the median annual wage for film and video editors was $63,780 as of May 2020.

It’s important to note that potential earnings in the Visual and Performing Arts can vary greatly, and success often requires a combination of talent, dedication, experience, and networking within the industry. Additionally, freelance work and self-employment are typical in many artistic careers, which can influence income variability.

Specific Majors in This Category

To find colleges that offer these majors and search by over 35 other criteria, use LifeLaunchr's College Match.

Just a moment ...