Recreation and Fitness Studies is an educational and career field that promotes healthy lifestyles through exercise, leisure activities, and other physical pursuits. Graduates of Recreation and Fitness Studies programs can pursue careers in various settings, including health clubs, fitness centers, schools, community centers, and more. In this article, we will explore the educational and career field of Recreation and Fitness Studies, including the types of students who find it a good fit, the academic programs available, and the career opportunities available to graduates.
Who is a Good Fit for Recreation and Fitness Studies?
Students who are interested in health and fitness and want to help others lead healthier lifestyles are a good fit for these majors. They should have a strong passion for fitness and be interested in learning about the science behind exercise, nutrition, and physical activity. So students with experience in sports or physical activity may have a natural aptitude for the field.
Educational Programs in Recreation and Fitness Studies
Educational programs in these fields provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to promote healthy lifestyles and physical activity. Programs typically include coursework in exercise physiology, kinesiology, sports psychology, and nutrition. Some programs also include practical experiences, such as internships, clinical rotations, and volunteer opportunities.
An associate degree in Recreation and Fitness Studies is a two-year program that provides students with a foundational knowledge of exercise science, fitness programming, and health promotion. Graduates can pursue careers as fitness trainers, health educators, and recreation specialists. They can also transfer to a four-year Recreation and Fitness Studies program or a related field.
A bachelor’s degree in Recreation and Fitness Studies is a four-year program that provides students with an in-depth knowledge of exercise science, health promotion, and fitness programming. Graduates can pursue careers as fitness directors, athletic trainers, and program managers. They can also go on to pursue graduate studies in Recreation and Fitness Studies or a related field.
A master’s degree in Recreation and Fitness Studies is a two-year program that provides students with advanced knowledge and skills in exercise science, health promotion, and recreation programming. So graduates can pursue careers as program directors, research scientists, and academic instructors. They can also pursue a doctoral degree in Recreation and Fitness Studies or a related field.
Career Opportunities in Recreation and Fitness Studies
Graduates of Recreation and Fitness Studies programs have a wide range of career options available to them, including positions in fitness, health, and recreation. Here are some of the most common careers in the field and their potential earnings:
- Fitness Trainer or Instructor: Fitness trainers and instructors work with clients to develop and implement individualized fitness plans. So they may work in gyms, health clubs, or other fitness facilities. The median annual salary for fitness trainers and instructors was $42,540 as of May 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). However, earnings vary widely depending on the employer, location, and experience level.
- Athletic Trainer: Athletic trainers work with athletes to prevent and treat injuries. Schools, universities, or sports teams may employ them. According to the BLS, the median annual salary for athletic trainers was $50,540 as of May 2020. Again, earnings can vary depending on factors such as location and employer.
- Recreation Worker: Recreation workers organize and lead leisure activities for individuals and groups in parks, community centers, and camps. According to the BLS, the median annual salary for recreation workers was $27,690 as of May 2020.
- Fitness Director: Fitness directors oversee fitness programs and staff in gyms and other fitness facilities. That means they may also be responsible for the marketing and sales of fitness programs. The median annual salary for fitness directors was $52,070 as of May 2020, according to the BLS.
- Health Educator: Health educators develop and implement programs that promote healthy lifestyles and prevent disease. So they may work in settings such as schools, hospitals, and community organizations. The median annual salary for health educators was $48,140 as of May 2020, according to the BLS.
- Exercise Physiologist: Exercise physiologists study the effects of exercise on the body and develop exercise programs for individuals with medical conditions. So they may work in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, or research facilities. According to the BLS, the median annual salary for exercise physiologists was $54,830 as of May 2020.
- Occupational Therapist: Occupational therapists help people develop or recover the skills needed for daily living and working. So they may work in hospitals, schools, or rehabilitation centers. A bachelor’s degree in Recreation and Fitness Studies can be a strong foundation for a graduate degree in occupational therapy. According to the BLS, the median annual salary for occupational therapists was $86,210 as of May 2020.
These salaries are only estimates and can vary depending on factors such as geographic location, employer, and experience level. Additionally, some careers may require additional education or certification.
Recreation and Fitness Studies is an educational and career field ideal for students who have a passion for health and fitness and a desire to help others achieve healthy lifestyles. So graduates of programs in this field can pursue careers in fitness, health, and recreation, with potential earnings ranging from around $27,000 to over $86,000 per year. By pursuing a degree in these fields, students can gain the knowledge and skills needed to help others lead healthy and active lives while pursuing a rewarding career.
Specific Majors in This Category
To find colleges that offer these majors and search by over 35 other criteria, use LifeLaunchr's College Match.