This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
University of MD - College Park
BA English Language & Literature
Phillips Exeter Academy
High School Diploma
I've lived on both US coasts and spent five years in Asia before settling in the Bay Area in 2013. I got my start tutoring as a student at Phillips Exeter Academy. During school breaks at my parent’s home in Korea, I found myself being sought out for test prep tutoring and assistance with admissions essays. This spark ignited a career in education. After graduating from the University of Maryland with a BA in English Language and Literature, I became involved in all aspects of education: curriculum writing, classroom teaching, private tutoring, program design, and running both for-profit and nonprofit tutoring organizations. I've tutored hundreds of students, and my specialties include standardized test prep including the SAT, ACT, and SSAT/ISEE, all levels of English, math through trigonometry, and executive functioning. As a younger coach, I feel my greatest strength is in my ability to relate to students and be a mentor that understands the current college landscape and job market. Over the last 9 years, I have:
- Taught 1-1, in small groups, and in classrooms of up to 40 students
- Written test prep curricula for the ACT and both the old and redesigned SATs
- Operated 4 different test prep and college consulting companies in Korea and the US
- Designed in-house programs as well as programs for partner organizations that have impacted thousands of students all over the world.
- Worked directly with hundreds of students on test prep and college admissions essays
- Gained added experience as a writer and editor for both print publication and TV broadcasting
The entire college process is an incredibly personal one, and that's why I love my job. Every student has a unique set of goals, desires, and needs. Whether I'm tutoring students in test prep or coaching them through their application essays, I make sure to embrace the individuality of each student, build a relationship with him/her, and meet the student where he/she is at.
When I'm not teaching, you'll find me:
1. Traveling around the world
2. On some kind of culinary adventure
3. Learning to code
4. Glued to the TV on Sundays during football season
5. Cheering on the Warriors (preferably at Oracle Arena)