The process of making college applications is highly stressful. It engages students in a decision process that they are often not ready to undertake. This lack of readiness can lead to chronic procrastination for some and premature foreclosure on “whatever” for others. They may be over-reliant on the opinions of others, leading them on a path they later discover is not a fit. The goal of the Career Direction package is to increase students’ confidence in their academic and career goals, through a process of clarifying their strengths, interests, and values and understanding how these align with possible academic and career pursuits.
Career Direction Package Details
The Career Direction package includes 8 hours of consultation, allocated across:
- Exploring the student’s strengths, interests, and values through reflecting on their social and family roles, peak experiences and past accomplishments
- Completing relevant self-assessment tools to further deepen the student’s self-awareness and associated themes that lead to satisfaction and success in a range of possible career paths. Assessment tools include the Strong Interest Inventory, the Myers Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI), the VIA Character Strengths Survey and others, depending on student needs
- Discussing the results of assessments to prioritize their top five academic options
- Weighing the pros and cons of academic alternatives, taking into consideration personal fit, length and intensity of academic commitment, competitive eligibility, financial and career outcomes.
- Creating a plan to support their college research and application process
Ruth Louden has a wealth of experience working with students, based on:
- 15+ years at the University of Toronto (Ontario, Canada) supporting undergraduate students in their academic and career decision-making and employment efforts
- 3+ years in private practice supporting high school students in their university choices
- 10+ years in human resources consulting specializing in recruitment, compensation and performance management
Every LifeLaunchr package includes a FREE 90-day membership to LifeLaunchr and access to all the tools and services on the site.